Thursday, October 18, 2007

Personalise Things

In my college essay I needed to highlight aspects of my life that led up to my decision of becoming a PT major. I mentioned the normal things. My cousin has CP and a severe case of it. He has spent his life in OT and PT. He also has a Speech Therapist. Without his PT, however, he would not have the ability to walk. What I didn't mention is I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for PT. My dad was in a tragic accident, where three of his friends died, the driver and him lived. However, my dad was in a coma for months, his head was split open, his eye was split open, he broke both legs and feet, and had numerous other injuries. The first hospital he went to refused him, said there was nothing that they could do, but notified the Boston hospital that they sent him to. He almost died, right after graduation. Because he had the motivation, he worked through PT with the determination to walk again. He was a paraplegic but worked his way out of it. If he didn't have the determination he did and the amazing PT, I wouldn't be here so I have a lot to be grateful for when it comes to PT and I want to be the person who makes that happen for someone else. Physical Therapy can truely change someones life or even the way things are supposed to happen, people aren't meant to recover from paralisys. However, it does happen and it only happens with PTs and OTs that care!

No comments: